Saturday, June 26, 2010

USA! USA!



I am as far from a patriot as one can get. So I always feel a little odd cheering for the USA in soccer. However, cheer them I do. It has nothing to do with the red, white, and blue but with the great players I know and support. Today, I was bummed by Ghana eliminating the US in the second round of World Cup 2010.

Before the tournament began, I assumed the US would make it out of their group but probably advance no further. If that is exactly what happened, why should I even be surprised? Well, mainly because the US topped their group beating out England. The US also makes for very dramatic games as they don't seem to know how to turn it on until they are behind and/or late in the game.

As the USMNT players wept on the pitch after playing 120+ minutes of football, I realized this is a turning point for US soccer. I am not talking in terms of popularity which people seem to fixate on. (By the way, the USA is huge and we have enough soccer supporters that it is irrelevant if it gets bigger than baseball.) Many of these players that have elevated the US game to an unprecedented level are at their peak and their time as the driving force of the team is essentially over. However, I look at the up-and-comers and I stay excited. Jozy Altidore is the face of the future of US soccer. Herculez Gomez and Stuart Holden will get better. With the USMNT on the rise, kids like Giuseppe Rossi won't opt to play for the old nations who have dominated in the past.

What gets me really excited is watching all the players who impressed me in this World Cup with their clubs. I much prefer club football anyway.

Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy
Clint Dempsey -
Fulham
Robbie Findley -
Real Salt Lake
Michael Bradley -
Borussia Mönchengladbach
Benny Feilhaber -
AGF
Maurice Edu -
Rangers
Jonathan Bornstein -
Chivas USA
Steve Cherundolo -
Hannover 96

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home