Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Heavy Hearts & Oily Birds



I try not to blog too much based on emotion. If you know me or read this blog, you probably also know that I am pretty harsh on animal rights/liberation as movements. However, every time I see the water birds of the Gulf of Mexico covered in oil, it breaks my heart and I start humming "Firestorm". The topic is even difficult for me to verbally talk about because I get so broken up over it. Maybe it has something to do with our inability to even offer an explanation to the animals that live in the Gulf. I wish so badly that I/we could help those cute helpless birds and all the other life that we don't see on television.

It turns out that the cleaning of the birds may not be useful and simply a PR move by BP. It is all part of the overriding notion that we, humans, can fix anything. We ignore consequences of life and death because we just tend to figure that we can fix it after the fact. We need to treat ourselves like bad children. If we can't learn to take care of it, we shouldn't be allowed to have it. If we can't use our planet's resources in a respectful and sustaining manner (which is nothing even close to how we use them now), then we deserve damnation. That doesn't mean boycotting BP and pretending that riding a bike or using a paper bag divorces you from the cycle of death. We are all responsible but not like the profiteers of death that hooked the system on petrol. We are all guilty of not fighting that system with all of our might.

So when I look into the oil covered eyes of birds scooped out of their habitat by humans in hazmat suits, it honestly brings a tear to my eyes. They, this system, have killed The Gulf. Killed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home