Saturday, August 02, 2008

Portraits Of Past: night 1: SF

8 August 2008. CellSpace, SF.
1st Portraits Of Past show in (I think) 12 years.

I will skip the 2 opening bands in the longest 3 band show I have ever been to.

It far exceeded my expectations.
The band was tight from practicing something like every day for the past 2 weeks. The crowd went nuts and the band went off. Rex was amazing to watch.

They played quite a few songs. I got to hear my favorites and they played the new song. Interestingly, the new song actually sounded like a BellaVista song with fast parts and screaming. I felt that is was more natural for them to combine the old with the current rather than try to just write the old.
The crowd was probably mostly kids who never saw POP live. Of course, I did see a good number of older faces (big up to the whole Fairfield crew).

When the show ended with everyone screaming and Rex removing one of Grimace's floor toms to beat upon with the audience, it felt right. It felt like the emotional catharsis that I associate with the genre and era of Portraits Of Past.

Now I am ready for tonite.

(I lifted these photos from Damian Hade)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

US$10 door and US$12 shirts! These guys are fully DIY punk rockers. Conveniently timed CD release! I'm so glad they are doing this 'for the kids'. No sell out, no chance.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.... they seem to already have some amps, which is good for playing shows dumbass. clothes are probably a good idea and drugs might be your problem. your statement about being fully DIY couldn't be more true from what I hear. get a clue.
the show were awesome.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home