Friday, June 20, 2008

classic: Blowout Comb

I was just reminded of the oft-slept on genius of Digable Planets' 2nd lp 'Blowout Comb.'

When that joint came out, I ate it up... again and again! The layers of radical politics are deep and I can honestly say a record taught me who folks like Mumia Abu-Jamal and Sekou Odinga are.
I think a lot of people wrote DP's off after that fuckin' annoying 'Rebirth of Slick' song.
Another absolute beauty of the music/lyrics/politics is that, like all great hip hop, it is done in "code." If you don't know what to listen for or aren't already in on the verbage, the magic will be lost on you.
Too bad the mix on 'Blowout Comb' is garbage.

"We be readin' Marx where I'm from"


"Why? That's most asked by 85"

Peace to the Gods & Earths and to All African Peoples Revolutionary Party

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home