Friday, December 21, 2007

Justice League re-runs

Lately, I have taken to faithfully watching Justice League (known as Justice League Unlimited when it originally aired)courtesy of Boomerang.

It is probably the best television adaptation of a comic book franchise I have ever seen. It revamps the stories and characters slightly without re-imagining the entire look or mythos (a la The Batman which looks pretty cool but takes too many liberties with a near perfect character... and don't get me started on their "extreme" Joker).

Every episode stars a rotating cast of Justice League members with a few mainstays such as John Stewart's Green Lantern, Batman, and/or Wonder Woman. For some reason, Martian Manhunter appears to be the League's overseer (did he ever have that role in the books?). Even the themes hint pretty heavy on more "mature" ideas of sexuality/attraction.

As I am more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan, I can't help but wonder why the hell Marvel has not taken this model and applied it to a team such as The Avengers. Even the extended X-Men cast of characters could provide an interesting series (albeit perhaps tired by now).

Since I am only watching re-runs, and the only upcoming comic book cartoon I am aware of is a seemingly very cartoony Spectacular Spider-Man (with awesome character designs), I sure hope MArvel or DC picks up this ball and produces a decent comic book based TV show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home