Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Roadtrip: SouthWest. Pt. 4

Mel and I spent 2 days and 3 nights with my parents and their 4 crazy cats.

To say my parents overly cater to their pets would be an understatement. The cats are given a veritable buffet of catfood in 4 different locations throughout the house/garage. The 3 "indoor" cats also have a massive pen in a side yard with lattice and chicken wire creating a prison-style fence to keep the cats from wandering out.
The cats are also, unfortunately, highly unsocialized. Only one of the cats was friendly, 2 would rather not be bothered, and a fourth cat went virtually unseen.
It did make me miss having cats.

On the morning of our first full day in Albuquerque, we all went to an outdoor shooting range to shoot rifles. I wish I could remember all the specifics but we shot an 'elk hunting' rifle and a 'deer hunting' rifle. It has been a long long time since I fired a rifle like either of these and I was shocked at the kick. They left us with sore shoulders for days!
We also fired a .40 and .357 handguns. The .357 spit out "shrapnel" that cut both me and my dad. I had small cuts on both arms for the remainder of the trip.



It is fun to practice shooting. I was pretty happy with my aim too.
I think Mel really enjoyed trying out the different guns too (aside from the sore shoulder).
_____

My parents drove us to Santa Fe to check out some gallery openings.
I wish I could remember the artists' names because I saw some really nice pieces.
A gallery that recently began representing my mother was having a not-too-exciting show but it was very nice to see my mom's work hung in a gallery (again).

After the galleries, we went to eat at Body in Santa Fe. It is a hippy restaurant attached to a yoga center. The food was not too exciting (although the portions were giant). We did have a really wonderful raw berry "cheesecake."
My dad was very confused by the notion of raw foods. haha It was very nice that my parents went to such a place since it is pretty fuckin far out of there usual faire.
_____

On the last full day in New Mexico, we headed to one of my favorite Albuquerque spots; Sportsman's Warehouse.

It is a massive hunting supply store. Upon entering the store, one is confronted with a big board displaying people's photos of recent kills they are so proud of.

We saw pics of children and adults posing with all kinds of dead animals ranging from zebras to orix to elk etc. The store is full of taxidermied animals as well. I had hoped to find some interesting camo gear but nothing was available in anything close to my size (as Mel speculated a Small, or Medium for that matter, would probably be too gay).
They do carry Anti-Monkey Butt Powder though.

That store is quite an experience.

Mel and I explored some of Burque and went to Stay Gold.

It is a tattoo shop that Mike Giant used to be associated with. I had hoped to find the awesome shirts he designed for them but they had none.

The rest of my time in Albuquerque was essentially spent going through TONS of stuff my parents have been storing for me for over 10 years.
I found all my old art, every note/letter/gift my high school girlfriend ever gave me, photos, more comix than I expected, a lot of cool toys, hardcore zines and fliers, etc etc. I threw out so much and still couldn't bring it all to CA.
(I also found stuff I aim to sell such as Master P's autograph, Smurfs, Bay Area graff trading cards, and Garbage Pail Kids cards. Want em??)
It sure was a trip going through so much old shit. It reminded me of who I was and how much I have remained the same. I can't wait to share my findings with friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home