Tuesday, September 18, 2007

VH1 Soul

Not too long ago, I got cable channel VH1 Soul. I never thought I would see a largely hip hop "oldies" channel (and I don't know why there aren't any 90's hip hop radio stations around). I am constantly getting excited and nostalgic about the early days of commercial hip hop, new jack swing, and my days in high school as a b-boy.

I've been seeing a lot of Guy videos. I was never a fan of Guy but now I can't seem to turn the channel as I watch this precursor to Jodeci who was a precursor to R. Kelly. It reminds me (as a young Mary J. Blige once said) of old friends, old crushes, high school, and some pretty awesome fashions.

This morning as I watched Special Ed's "Magnificent" video and hollered at the show's host to play some Audio Two (It was MC Lyte! C'mon, put your brother on!), I joked and laughed hysterically to my girlfriend about how hot clothes in mustard yellow were.

You would go to OakTree in the mall and pick up a mustard yellow "blouse" and some black Z Cavarricci pants that were pleated tight at the high waist and exploded into some serious looseness at the legs. Maybe if you were a girl, you would rock the blouses divided into either halves or quarters of floral patterns, polka dots, net, and/or mustard yellow. Girls also loved shiny shoes that used lace bows for actual laces.
My girlfriend got a kick out of me but I don't know how much she can relate to those fashions or the endless barrage of early 90's hip hop and r&b that excite me. I actually don't know if any of my friends have much of a clue about all that much less have lived it. Sometimes it makes me feel like maybe they don't know all of me.

So, as much as I hated on that r&b in high school, it definitely has a soft spot in my heart now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home