Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Roadtrip: SouthWest. Pt. 2

Before leaving LA, Mel and I went to M Cafe for some food with Ben and Florence.
M Cafe is one of my top places to dine anywhere. I had a wonderful (vegan) muffaletta sandwich. We spotted some "wigger" celebrities and got a coffee (cup)cake to go.

As we approached Arizona, the landscape changed and it got hotter and hotter.

My sister and her family just recently moved to Phoenix from CA. It is still hard to believe she left CA.
Phoenix (and its suburbs) is an odd place. It is in hyper-development with houses being constructed everywhere. It seems like there is a strip mall at every freeway exit (all with the same retail spots).

We arrived and I finally got to see my brand new nephew, Jackson!

I have always been fond of children and held parenting in high regards. I was very curious as to what it would be like to see my sister's child.
I always imagined newborns to sleep and then cry when they are distressed or in need. My nephew, however, goes through periods of total calm and then unexplainable outbursts of crying. It was actually less annoying than I thought it might have been.
I think new parents are a little funny at how much they fuss over everything.

Mel and I helped my sister out when we could. A lot of that just included watching Jackson so my sister could get little things (like taking a shower) done. It didn't take long for my arms and wrists to get sore from holding/supporting the baby.

I could barely sleep it was so damn hot in Arizona.

Luckily, my sister has a pool. We hung out in the pool and checked out all the lizards running around.
The dog, Ike, loves the pool too. He jumped in and didn't touch the ground to rest for over an hour! It was hilarious and if you got too close to his pool fun he would snarl.

We all went out to dinner at some place in Tempe (which is a college town) called Greens. It was some hipster type spot and had vegan fastfood and soft-serve (vegan) desserts. We were surprised and delighted to have found it as we expected to find no vegan options in Arizona.

1 Comments:

Blogger deadlittlebunny said...

Years ago, a seduced a boy at a nightclub, and he was actually a biology professor (specializing in fungi) at the university in Tempe who was in town for the weekend. Sexy nerd action. Love it!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home