Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wisconsin

Wisconsin Budget Repair Bill Protest from Matt Wisniewski on Vimeo.



Hopefully you know what's going on in Wisconsin right now. The bad and the good. Especially the good. There is no way, at this late stage in the game, I am going to try and give an exhaustive explanation. It is inspiring and I will say this...

I am White and I come from the midwest. In the seemingly ever present question of 'what is the revolutionary potential of White Americans?', I tend to be a pessimist. I tend to point to too many examples of privilege giving in to privilege at the expense of others (or even one's own interests). However, I have this friend. He is Filipino from California and much more committed to social change in day-to-day terms than I probably am. Wisconsin makes me think of him. He is much more optimistic of White America's capacity for change. (And this is not to suggest that the struggle in Wisconsin is only White people or that Madison is even indicative of the midwest.)

If there is to be change on any major level in this country, it probably needs to look and feel like Wisconsin does right now. To the folks in Wisconsin, never give up. Never give in. Never concede an inch. Occupy that shit and stay strong until we win. The whole country is watching you and corporate media can't paint you in lies enough to fool all of us. Keep inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home