Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Coming Death of Blogs

I have written about my changing feelings regarding the blogosphere, sharing of information, and social networking before. Gawker has an interesting piece about how blogging has peaked (and is now in decline).

"Only half as many online teens work on their own blog as did in 2006, and Millennial generation adults ages 18-33 have also seen a modest decline-a development that may be related to the quickly-growing popularity of social network sites. "

The purpose of Dead Time Pacifies has always been to share information I feel is important/interesting/exciting. For a while I tracked traffic to this blog and it has very few recurring visitors (and I would assume I know these people personally). So, it seems like I can more effectively share info via social networking sites. This does call into question reaching "new" people (which I had hoped Dead Time would do and, by design, social networking does not do). I would suggest that this is a much grander question: sharing important information with a tighter circle of people (which is not necessarily "preaching to the choir") versus gambling to reach a much wider audience who may be less likely to be exposed to the information elsewhere.

Marketing, fame, or chasing down links and referrals takes more time and energy than I have available. This is why I have thrown more effort behind the easy "sharing" of social networking. I would prefer to keep this blog as a space to share original thoughts or critiques rather than just link roundups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home