Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sporting Nationalism

I detest the Olympics. However, I love football/soccer and even its international tournaments such as The World Cup. Even more than the Olympics, I hate Christopher Hitchens.

However, he wrote an interesting piece about nationalism and competition in sport. The reason the article is decent is probably because he quotes, at length, George Orwell. I think douchelord Hitchens unfairly singles out soccer in his attempt to discredit the fuckin' Olympics but what do you expect?


Of course, we live in a nationalistic world. Sport doesn't cause nationalism. It is simply a reflection of it. Sport can also widely be seen to show off decadent individualism (even among team sports).

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dave Zirin actually wrote a response to Hitchen's I think is worth reading and thinking about:)
http://www.edgeofsports.com/2010-02-12-500/index.html
Thought you'd appreciate it.
love,
Harjit

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home