Sunday, May 17, 2009

"Like cyanide to a Tamil Tiger"

The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam have conceded defeat and laid down their weapons.


The Tamil Tigers fought to protect the country's Tamil minority from discrimination at the hands of the successive Sinhalese majority governments that have ruled the country since independence.
The Tigers advocated equality for women from both male oppression and social oppression. This support for equality attracted many women into the LTTE ranks.
They pioneered the use of suicide attacks and every Tiger wore a small glass vial containing a lethal does of cyanide.


I may not have even known where Sri Lanka was if Duran Duran had not filmed some of their videos there.
I was introduced to The Tamil Tigers struggle via the romantic lyrics of Torches To Rome.

"Given the choice, I'd rather die by fire
like cyanide to a Tamil Tiger."

-Young Arsenal

In recent years, M.I.A. has become a popular voice of Tamils and decried Sri Lanka's campaign of genocide against them.

The Tigers made some serious errors that eroded support. I can't deny that. Nonetheless, this post-modern world feels a bit sadder with another liberation struggle crushed.

Yo dont be calling me desperate
When i'm knocking on the door
Every wall you build i'll knock it down to the floor
See me see me bubbling quietly
See me see me acting like you ain't met me
Hands up
Guns out
Represent the world town

-World Town

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home