Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek: My FanBoy Review & The Loophole I Love

I am a Star Trek fan. A pretty hardcore one. A "trekkie" or "trekker" or whatever weirdos want to call us. Like any good fan, I saw the new film, Star Trek, on opening day.

I understood this was a re-envisioning of The Original Series (my least favorite of all Trek series or films). I understood it involved time travel (a plot device I abhor). So any expectations were only high in regards to the new look and feel. I wanted to like it very badly and I did like it almost all the way through.
I couldn't help but feel like the film was throwing out overly obvious bones to fanboys in hopes of hooking us where the fast paced action and hot young crew did not. Of course, The Original Series and all Trek films with this crew were heavy on the camp and humor, so I rolled with it.

In the end, I felt like a snobbish jaded fanboy who complains about everything. I just could not get over the fundamental changes made to Spock and his world, Vulcan. I looked and looked for a way to let it go and just like the damn film. I think I found it...
In most cases in sci fi and films in general when time travel occurs it is to stop any changes from affecting the known future. Any changes either end up in some sort of "destiny" loop or are minor. Star Trek's villain succeeds in altering the timeline significantly! From there on out, it is not the timeline we know of Trek... It is, yes, an alternate reality!
J.J. Abrams is so good at loopholes!

Of course, I might still ask why this film was even made.

LA Weekly: The best review I have found
Videogum: A good Star Trek analysis
The Onion: Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As Fun and Watchable

I also encourage any fan of Trek to find the online comic prequel. That ruled!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

I loved it! We need to have a nerd fest now that you're back in town.

9:24 PM  
Blogger shane said...

ANOTHER GREAT REVIEW

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home