Monday, June 04, 2007

open letter to Max (and Burnt Ramen)

READ THIS FIRST
(rather than post another comment on THAT tired entry, I figured I would start a new one.)


Max,
I think we agree on a fair amount. I have seen you at shows. I think we both sang-a-long together to Young Offenders (after I tried to rip that Israeli flag outta your hand).

Don’t get it twisted; my “review” wasn’t a critique of Warkrime. It was intended just to be my reflection on that Warkrime show and some of the bullshit I saw there (and how it reminded me so much of the shows I went to about 15 yrs ago).
Then all kinds of internet gangsters popped up. I didn’t read many comments standing up for a scene. I read people standing up for smoking and getting wasted and keeping punk “dangerous.” As if they knew what dangerous really was or anything about me. Punk to them is only a caraciture of anything it ever was.
Maybe I didn’t make mention of some of the refreshing positives I saw (i.e. an energetic crowd ready to ‘go off’ to all the bands and a seeming disregard for trying to be the “cool kids”). The only shit I dissed is stuff that is detrimental/destructive to any scene/community. If THOSE are the things the kids are defending, fine. Fuck em. They will lose interest in going to shows soon enough. Afterall, a large chunk of that audience is obviously more concerned with using Burnt Ramen as a hideout to get wasted than out of any interest in the bands.

You’re right, Max. Punk/HC doesn’t have to be positive or progressive. A lot of it is a reaction against what we hate in this society. Which is precisely why embracing mainstream values ruins it (whether it be cigarettes, a jock attitude, or celebrity).
As for language: I greatly respect your distaste for the term (and concept?) of “PC” since it was created, as you note, precisely as a tool against us. Sorry buddy, accepting homophobic language also reflects one’s attitudes and helps shape the culture around them. Homophobia ain’t ok with me so I won’t use language that perpetuates it. The question is not what is “offensive” but what is oppressive.

The last thing my blog entry wanted to come off as is a “scolding authority figure.” I never even expected any of the Burnt Ramen loyalites to check in. However, I’m glad they did. (I am still clueless how they all found it.) Maybe I know a little something more than them; maybe I don’t (I probably do though). If I read some 20yr old kid complain about (supposedly) not being able to shout “fag” from the Gilman stage or people being upset with his/her smoking at a show, I wouldn’t give two fucks about them. It is just silly that the only thing the comments you are seemingly defending got irate about was my dislike of their dear drugs or my attempt to show a little girl that there are repercussions for hitting people (my friend, BenEdge) with her beercan.

I refuse to stop taking myself or this world seriously. This is all we got. Let’s burn this shit down and build it anew.

-shane

(now open the floodgates)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home