Monday, May 21, 2007

good-bye Gather

Yesterday was Gather's last show.
It was at 924 Gilman and it was pretty much perfect.

Punch, Set It Straight, Risen, and Seven Generations were all handpicked to open. All the bands created one of the most positive and progressive atmospheres I have seen at a show. Much love to all those bands (especially Megan of Punch for representing women, Chris from 7G, and Mr. Kurt "Cause One" Catalyst)!

Gather took the stage and before any song, Eva spoke about what made Gather special and what what/who was special to Gather. Their whole set was a relentless thundering of love and rage; exactly what people have come to expect from Gather.
Gather has never been about being 'cool' and, to some degree, this has hurt their popularity. Gather had also rarely played local shows which stunted a local fanbase. As was evident from people coming from faraway, Gather DID have a strong and very loyal and radical fanbase elsewhere.
As Chris from 7G put it: Gather represent what punk/HC can and should be.
The show climaxed with an onstage pile-up that engulfed all of Gather (except Randy who seemed to be standing atop his bass amp).

On a personal note; Gather are some of my closest friends and comrades. I have often been very critical of Gather but only because of that bond. I guess any band that is worth being a fan of generates just as much hate or disdain from those that it should.
The 'fifth member' of Gather has always kinda been Katie. It was nice to see Katie there (and lend guest vox) in high spirits. As I told Katie; A lot has always been said in HC about friends and unity. I think she has displayed that in the most honorable and brave ways with Gather. Ways that I don't know that I would be brave enough to do.

I am certain that the love and rage channeled into Gather by each member will not be lost and will find equally revolutionary (or greater) avenues to be expressed.


(Big ups to Timm for coming down for the show. Always nice to see you. BTYC forever.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I saw Gather for the first time in the summer of 2004 at Station 40. I had recently moved down to the Bay and was living in San Francisco, and someone told me “oh, there’s this vegan straight edge anarchist band, you should go see them.” Since it was 2 blocks from were I was living, I figured it was worth checking out.

But that night at Station 40 I saw Doppleganger and Gather play and both bands blew me away. I became friends with Lane from Doppleganger that night, and I met Dustin that night and got the demo.
In the last few years I’ve been less and less interested in hardcore music as a genre of what I listen to. It’s part of my life because it’s part of my past and who I am, but it isn’t all of me and it isn’t my primary form of music to put on. But at this point it’s about finding amazing people.
Since that summer/fall evening in San Francisco, I’ve gotten to see Gather evolve and become closer to them as humyn beings outside of the band. In the last few years, I met literally some of my best friends (Lucas, Rocky) at their shows, and everyone involved in Gather was so incredibly supportive of me through some really tough times personally that I can’t put into words.
Last night watching it end was really interesting for me because I remember Randy being cool enough (even though we barely knew each other) to let us have our first practice in the garage on Cedar Street, and Gather having my then band open for them in some of the best garage shows I’ve ever seen.
In the last few years I’ve watched my relationships with people in this small but incredible community grow and flower, and it’s been a really beautiful experience. I love you all for what you’ve put into this.

The shows in those garages, teen centers, gilman, etc. I’ll hold near my heart.
in solidarity,
Harjit Singh Gill
xvx

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Shane!

I can't possibly put into words what these friends mean to me and how inspirational they are as a band and individually, including Katie (I love you times 10!). It was amazing to experience the fierce energy, love, and sense of community at Gather's last shows.
We love Gather!

Aly

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home