Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Here is your Captain America


I gotta say it. I don't like it...

I have been in a dialogue with a friend over the Captain America designs and comic book to film costume translations in general. I don't want 'realistic' costumes that make sense in the world we live in. I don't want Dark Knight's Batman and Batmobile that are far more realistic tech than fantastic superhero because I don't need an explanation as to why Batman can escape virtually unscathed. He is fuckin' Batman!
However, my friend makes the point that these realistic costumes/outfits serve to bridge a believability gap between some of the completely unrealistic situations that develop. Sometimes these realistic looks also serve to move a story along. This was the case in Dark Knight (which did not work for me) and it looks to be the case in Captain America. I have little problem with the look revealed if this is his WWII outfit that will be updated for current era Avengers. However, I would like to point out that brown leather boots seem pointless when you have such a fantastical outfit. I also get the sense that these 3D embellishments that started with Spider-Man (and reached a low with Superman Returns) are going to look super dated in about 15 years.

Marvel better not let me down with the as-of-yet unrevealed winged helmet of Thor!

2 Comments:

Blogger shane said...

I suppose if you were to create Captain America's origin today, it is reasonable that he might look more like THIS

7:28 PM  
Blogger xDustinx said...

to me, it doesn't look that bad. In the comics, he doesn't need to look hella armored and bullet proof, cuz instead of being bullet proof he jumps through the air, tucks into a ball behind his shield - right when the bullets begin to reach him - as they bounce off the shield, and he flies out a window, for about ten stories, and then lands on his shield to cushion his fall.

Instead of having him do that, and look hella corny on the big screen, I don't mind if he has super armor instead. I agree that he shouldn't look like the X-Men black leather, but spandex would be a joke. So maybe bright leather? That'd be pretty cool.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home