Saturday, August 22, 2009

WSD Off The Air


World Soccer Daily is off the air! (We won!)

When I first discovered WSD (via Fox Soccer Channel), I was elated. I had just stated a new nightmarish job and listening to WSD on my lunchbreaks was the highlight of each day. Growing up in an environment lacking in any football news/information, WSD also helped me become A LOT more familiar with the beautiful game.
Steven Cohen, the co-host, was annoying at times but funny at others. The only things that really rubbed me the wrong way were his outright classist attacks on Liverpool FC and people from Liverpool.

When Kartik Krishnaiyer so eloquently called Cohen out on his misrepresentation of the Hillsborough disaster, Cohen was confronted by the misinformation and classist hatred he spewed. Instead of actually addressing facts, Cohen hired a PR firm and adopted some bullshit US patriotism as if he was allowed to lie all he wanted because he loved America. His attacks on Liverpool got worse and forced me to stop listening.
I wrote Cohen and informed him that I would not be listening to WSD until he was no longer co-host. He actually wrote me back saying that would never happen as it was his show.

It is certain that WSD took a big hit from advertisers withdrawing support. Guests as well refused to come on (Steve Nicol formerly of LFC) and others voiced dissatisfaction with Cohen on-air.

Cohen was removed from his other hosting duty on Fox Football Fone-In and now World Soccer Daily has gone off the air.

WSD's final podcast is just Cohen ranting against Liverpool supporters. He claims that he is willingly ending the show only out of concern for his family. He says "Hate wins" and "Anti-Semitism wins!" As if the hatred he spewed over the air at Scousers was all good. I love how he brings up the anti-Semitism card as well as hiding behind USA patriotism and pro-business sentiment.

Cohen, you are a douchebag and you lost. Good riddance! US soccer supporters deserved better than you.
Luckily, unlike Cohen would have you believe, there are other terrific soccer podcasts... some are even based in US.

I recommend:
MLS Talk podcast
EPL Talk podcast
Guardian podcast

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he never left... he only ticked his fans and foes to make more money...

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home