Tuesday, August 04, 2009

The Road

I don't usually read fiction (aside from comic books). I don't know why. I guess I think my time could be better spent reading non-fiction as a means to learn about this world we live in (not that I ain't aware of fictions potential for just the same).
I just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It is a good book. It is even an Oprah's Book Club book. It is a post-civilization tale of a man struggling for the survival of his son as they trek down a road. I'm a sucker for "post-apocalyptic" stories (i.e. The Road Warrior).
The Road really got me thinking; from the actions the man took immediately to secure water to what I would do in such a brutal nightmarish world (and what we should do now to prepare for such a world).
(See, I don't buy into the common anti-civ primitivist idea that the collapse of civilization will bring about any sort of harmony.)
_____

The Road has been made into a film due out this coming fall. (It was my interest in this film that led me to the book... That and my girlfriend.)

_____

No sound but the wind. What will you say? A living man spoke these lines? He sharpened a quill with his small pen knife to scribe these things in sloe or lampblack? At some reckonable and entabled moment? He is coming to steal my eyes. To seal my mouth with dirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home