Sunday, May 03, 2009

Round Two, 2:59

Manny Pacquiao demolished Ricky Hatton. Hatton had no defense and fell in the last second of the 2nd round. Hell, he was out cold! He was on his back for a while. (It was kinda sad.)

I was excited for this fight. I like both boxers. It was difficult for me to decide if I was going to throw my support behind either man.

... and now, an overly though out analysis of the two fighters...

Hatton was the underdog and I do like underdogs. Plus, how could I not like a Manc who loyally wears the working class City's blue and enters to their support song?! He has also entered the ring with Wayne Rooney, and the Gallagher brothers!

I came up with a lot of Filipinos and I have a lot of love for all my Pin@y Kasamas. I think every Filipino from Gen. Santos City to Daily City adores how hard Pacquiao represents. However... Pacquiao has alligned himself with corrupt president Maria Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and expressed intent to enter Filipino politics on the 'wrong side.' Manny seems to have chosen the colonized Catholic comprador class over the people's struggle. Just watching HBO's 24/7 made me sick of his Jesus talk.

So, if I favored Hatton who paints himself as a working class fighter from a former Imperial power over a Third World reactionary nationalist, am I following in a path that so many White radicals have followed? Third World revolutionaries have a tendency towards nationalism. This is not crazy since their national character is something they are fighting to liberate. Since nationalism isn't inherently radical or progressive, many a national liberation struggle has lost radical First World support.

In the end, I did not support either fighter (if it even matters). I also totally understand the fanatical support Filipinos have for Pacquiao. Hell, when was the last time you saw an Asian man knocking fools out on TV?


(thanks to everyone who had me over to watch the fight and made food!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home