Monday, March 03, 2008

Made In Sheffield

I watch A LOT of documentaries.
I always struggle with whether or not to write them up on here. I don't want to necessarily recap the films and am not always sure if anyone cares. However, I have vowed to mention all documentaries I watch and feel are worth you (whoever you are) checking out.
_____

Made In Sheffield: The Birth Of Electronic Pop

The title kinda says it all. This documentary chronicles the post-punk rise of what would become electronic pop music (aka New Wave?) from Sheffield, England. In that era, there was a strong rejection of traditional rock music structure and instruments.
It was very interesting to see/hear the artsy "avant guard" beginnings of groups like The Human League, Cabaret Voltaire, Heaven17, and ABC. These bands I viewed as good but simple pop acts in the mid 80's had more in common with groups that I love like I Am Spoonbender.
The film also features commentary from Mr. Jarvis Cocker and where can you go wrong with him?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home