Friday, October 26, 2007

Frame Of Mind

In 1987 I was in 8th grade in Sandy, UT. For the school's talent show, my thrash metal band, Frame Of Mind, decided to play. The band actually auditioned and was accepted prior to my joining. It wasn't expected that the school would allow a change in an already tepidly received thrash performance after auditions, but I was allowed to perform at a practice and then was allowed to join my band in the actual talent show.

The talent show consisted of the usual shit. A lot of piano and dance numbers all performed by good Mormon kids. The school administration already didn't like me for my rebellious tendencies as we took to the stage. Before we began, I grabbed the mic and announced that our song was dedicated to a douchebag jock who was notorious for eating live goldfish. Then we launched into "Stop The Pain" our (or just my) anti-animal cruelty anthem. I wish I could remember the lyrics. The chorus was something along the lines of "Stop The Pain! End The Cruelty!" I "moshed" all over stage and we shocked the entire school. I remember half-way thru the song we injected the Anthrax song "I'm the Man."

When it was over, the student audience erupted. They loved us! We got 100x more applause than any other performance. As the roar died down, the aforementioned jock's distinctive voice shouted, "You're dead!!"

I wish I had any photos of the event. I know a video existed but I never got to even view it.
_____

On the Post-Punk Kitchen website, they recently had a contest for most amazing school talent show story. My girlfriend entered the story I just recounted and we won (or won a sorta 2nd place conciliatory prize)!!
(Some of the details in the PPK version are off because my memory was dusty when I tried to give the details.)

1 Comments:

Blogger xDustinx said...

ask me about mine, yo.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home