Sunday, June 17, 2007

homemade seitan

As a vegan who weight-trains, I have considerable interest in high protein vegan food. A major staple in my diet is seitan. I recently discovered how cheap and easy it is to make my own seitan (thank you Alison, Shaudi, & Mel). Making your own seitan also allows one to create any flavor one wants.
It is super easy, here's how I do it:

preheat oven to 350degrees.

mix well:
1.25 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
.25 cup flour (wheat, soy, etc)
.25 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons oil
.5 cup water
+ any seasonings you desire

For this batch, I added garlic (I have found 1-2 of these little frozen cubes work wonderfully), sriracha hot sauce, a tablesppon of liquid smoke, and a tablespoon of this fantastic bouillon... use your imagination!

Knead all that together for about 5 minutes.


(I added some sesame seeds and some vegan parmesan flavor topping to the outside of the logs.)
Form into a log, multiple logs, or flatten and wrap tightly in foil.

Bake.
The size/shape is going to affect how long it needs to bake.
One log takes about an hour and a half. The 3 mini logs I did took about 1 hour.


Bam! You're done!
Each batch has about 135g of protein, so you are set.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like your blog, its so informative.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home