Thursday, April 26, 2007

AZ and class suicide

Today I found out my (younger) sister is moving to Arizona (from Southern CA).
To say is came as a shock to me is an understatement. My sister adores CA and wanted her soon-to-be-born son to be born in CA. However, her husband's work made an offer to relocate them that they felt they would be stupid to refuse. They will be easily able to purchase a house twice the size of their current house and including a pool for half the price. My sister will not have to work so that her children can be raised by her and not a daycare. And on and on.

It made me sad.
Yes, it completely voids my sole vacation plans but I also wanted to be the cool uncle to her children since I will have none of my own. The cool uncle is a lot more difficult to pull off when they live in a faraway state I have never been to and had no plans of visiting til now.
It is all very 'grown up' of her and her husband (and, I mean, they are adults). That might be the part that makes me most somber. It shows me my reflection of being a "loser." I mean I don't want to climb a corporate ladder, move to AZ, do things JUST to buy property, or wear a suit and tie. However, I also don't like the extra work everything requires when living this life I have chosen. My last big expendeture I had to mull over was whether or not to buy some jewelry for $200 (which is a lot for me still... and I did buy the jewelry), I would love to travel. I would love to find a plce to live that I can afford and meets my desired criteria plus allows me to have pets.
I could say that at least I don't have to stress over work like I imagined "normal" people do, but I found out that I work just as hard as they do for less money.

I guess this is all what I unknowingly aimed for when I took to heart all that I learned from punk rock ("Young til I die") and radical politics (class suicide). I hope my contribution and commitment isn't in vain (especially since I have no progeny to instill such destructive values in).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home