Monday, February 26, 2007

Fall Out Boy in Rolling Stone

Fall Out Boy got the new Rolling Stone cover story.

Not surprising since they are the current pop kings, down with Jay Z, and rich as fuck.
However, at least 2 of the members (including mastermind Pete Wentz) used to be involved in hardcore bands with radical politics. Racetraitor does get name dropped in the article.

The most impressive part of the cover story was from drummer Andy Hurley.

Andy has played in Racetraitor, Vegan Reich, and killtheslavemaster. In the Rolling Stone piece he breaks down a bit of radical anti-civ perspective:

More than anyone in the band, Hurley has stayed closest to his left-wing hardcore roots.

"My whole thing is I'm not into civilization as a whole," says Hurley, who's wearing a Starter-style jacket with the Public Enemy logo on the back. "The only actual solution is the eventual collapse and demise of civilization. . . . I think it needs to happen, but no one, not even me, really wants it to happen." It's not that hard for him to reconcile all this with his band's success. "Ultimately I am an employee of a corporation, and that's weird, and does contradict some of the things I believe in," he says. "But at the same time, I have to make a living."

So will there be rock bands after the collapse of civilization? "Probably not. Music would probably go. A lot of art would," he says, looking sad for a moment. "That's what I'm saying -- I'm really into comics and movies and video games, and I don't want to give that stuff up. At the same time I think it's filling the void for stuff that we're missing."


Sounds like an alright guy to me.
Given the way you know a magazine like Rolling Stone edits, I am surprised all of that made it to print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home