Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Metal passe

I was recently shopping for todler toys at a WalMart in Arizona where I saw a black metal action figure (associated with Guitar Hero if I remember correctly).

Today, I was made aware of the KFC ad parodying black metal (see below).


Think it has jumped the shark straight into middle America?
Not too spooky.

I have given the genre a shot (especially the spooky ambient variety) but just can't dig it much.
I bet the originators of the genre never thought corpse paint would be so pervasive and so mimic'd. I also bet they don't see a dime from all of this
... which is ok since they tend to be nazi types.


strange... very strange.

4 Comments:

Blogger hero imprisoned said...

I'm sure you saw me saying this coming, but the originators of the BM genre don't tend to be "nazi types" at all. Hellhammer, Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, and the people in those bands have never been associated with any type of NS mentality. It's not until you get into Varg's involvement (and arguably the Darkthrone "True Aryan Black metal" incident) in the scene that you really start to see that sort of thing cropping up.

3:46 PM  
Blogger shane said...

haha
ok ok ok... but would Venom, Bathory, and Celtic Frost be black metal or proto-black metal?

Get me your email address. I come across more insane black metal for download than I know what to do with!
-shane

7:41 PM  
Blogger shane said...

oh, and...
http://mishkanyc.com/bloglin/2008/12/01/black-metal-chicken/

7:51 PM  
Blogger hero imprisoned said...

That KFC thing is so damned ridiculous. I blame Vice's weird interest in Black Metal bringing it to the forefront of hipster culture.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home