Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ben Edge On Music 6


ANTIDOTE - Thou shalt not kill 7"
"My favorite early 80s NYCHC record!
Even though the lyrics for "Foreign Job Lot" are ignorant as hell. I don't know how NYCHC got hijacked by a bunch of right-wingers, but it happened a long ass time ago."

_____


Unbroken:
"I remember seeing them in the summer of '95, during the height of my "fuck all things metal" stage, and the only song I thought was really rad was "Fall On Proverb." Later, I got really into them. The lyrical content really drives the band. Musically, they weren't really pushing the envelope."
_____


Roxy Music:
"The first two albums (Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure) are the shit! Those are the two with Brian Eno in the band. Avalon is terrible. That's like their 8th or 9th album."
_____


Lou Reed:
"Lou Reed is supposedly the biggest asshole in rock n roll ever. I've never met the guy.
Velvet Underground has some great songs.
The first Lou Reed album (s/t) is pretty good.
The second Lou Reed album (Transformer) is a classic. David Bowie produced it and sang back ups.
Everything after that is spotty. I'm not a fan of that New York album."

_____

The Beatles solo albums:
"That John Lennon album is classic. I love that thing. Check out the song "Well Well Well". No one else screamed that loud for that long on a record before punk came around.
The Paul McCartney album has some great ones on it too. The first track is a swipe at Lennon. They really hated each other. The back cover of the record is an actual photo of a beetle fucking another beetle. Get it?
The George Harrison album is critically acclaimed, but I can't get into it. It's really happy, but there's sadness behind the music. It's like he's playing happy music to cover up the sadness. "My Sweet Lord" is a rip off of "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons. The writers of "He's So Fine" sued Harrison and won.
Ringo Starr - I don't fuck with that."

_____


Control Soundtrack-
"This has a lot of good, classic glam/early punk songs on it.
The Killers covering Joy Division - THEY'RE NOT WORTHY!
I got to admit that the song "When We Were Young" by the Killers is catchy, but the dude's voice makes it kinda suck.
There's a scene in Control that takes place in 1976, when the dudes in JD are about to see the Sex Pistols. Iggy Pop "Sister Midnight" is playing it the background. That album didn't come out until 1977! Am I the only person who was bugged by that?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home