Friday, October 24, 2008

Music According To Ben Edge

Fucked Up - 'The Chemistry Of Common Life'
"I haven't heard the new Fucked Up. I've read reviews in more mainstream publications, and the way people who have nothing to do with hc fawn over them makes me disinterested. And how they have electronic interludes or some shit? Sounds like Refused Shape of Punk to Come part deux. The biggest poseurs in the world who had no association with hc or sxe jocked the fuck out of that band AFTER they broke up, and couldn't have cared less about their pre-art fag material. Come to think of it, Refused was never that great to begin with. I can't blame them."

Danny Diablo - 'Thugcore For Life'
"I wonder if his song "Mechanix" is a Megadeth cover. Wait, actually I don't."


Joy Division - 'Les Bains Douches 18 December 1979'
"Yeah, this is their best live recording, and it captures the energy that Martin Hannett buried in the records he produced."

Token Entry playing a reunion show:
"Token Entry was a "you had to be there" kind of band, because their records kinda suck. And too bad for me, I wasn't there."


state of the union: d.c. benefit compilation (released in 1989)
"Fugazi is great, but they got way into being boring (and by that I mean playing slow, extended instrumentals) towards the end.
Red Medicine is definately their least best album. Diehard fans like the boring shit the most, because that's what happens when you get WAY into a band. You burn yourself out on the good material, and start thinking differently about the bad material.
All the early shit is by far the best material.
the best band on the State of the Union comp, hands down is RAIN, followed closely by ONE LAST WISH."


No Warning -' Suffer, Survive'
"haha. I remember when that album came out.
I was never a fan to begin with, but I think it's funny that some wack, new jack B9 band ended up on Warner Bros. (the company that put food in my mouth)."


U2:
"there's like one or two good songs each on their first three albums, but this band for the most part is crap.
Bono - so full of shit it's obscene."



Ya Ho Wa 13 - 'I'm Gonna Take You Home'
"I read about this guy. Reminds me of Steve Aoki."

Emerson Lake and Palmer:
"I have never physically met someone who likes this band. They are atrocious."

Angry Samoans - 'Play The Songs Of VOM' ep (1978 Demos)
"I bought this for my dad for his birthday one year. Richard Meltzer (Vom singer) was a very well known rock critic, as was Metal Mike Saunders (Angry Samoans singer), going back to the early 70s. So my dad knew both these dudes before punk was happening."

Let us know what you think of Ben's assessments. He will argue with you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neel Palrecha said...

i hope this becomes a regular series

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home