Monday, October 13, 2008

Life On Mars


I had been wanting to catch BBC's Life On Mars TV series before ABC Television began their version. Luckily, I was able to catch what turned out to be a very abridged 2 seasons of the original courtesy of BBC America.
I highly recommend it.
The show tells the story of DCI Sam Tyler, who, after being hit by a car in 2006, finds himself in the year 1973. It is unclear whether he is insane, in a coma, or if he really has travelled back in time.
Named after a David Bowie song, the show ties in a lot of 70's British music along with the police and sci-fi elements. The main character also has to deal with differing socio-politico situations.

I watched ABC's US remake and enjoyed it. The 1st episode was almost identical to the British version (aside from a very different ending). I am not sure that the US version lives up to the original and apparently I am not alone.
The biggest beef I have with the remake is changing the "unsatisfying" ambiguity of Sam's story was removed in favor of a "mythological element" and "deeper mystery".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home